The warm weather is here which means it’s time to start planning my vegetable garden! Growing my own organic vegetables means I can enjoy nutritious food, fresh from my garden. BUT the benefits extend much further than this. These are my top 7 favorite reasons why I grow my own organic garden.. and why you should too :)
1. Much more flavorful: Nothing tastes quite like fresh, homegrown vegetables. Have you ever taken a bite into a fresh, homegrown tomato? They are just EXPLODING with flavor.
2. Keep Chemicals Off Your Plate: You have complete control over what your garden is exposed to. A backyard garden can benefit from highly nourished soil which is why I’m using Bloom City Organic Nutrient System. It's all about soil when gardening. This Bloom City Kit is pretty much a multivitamin for your soil and it actually contains probiotics for peak yield. I can only imagine how nutritious my fresh vegetables will be this year!!
3. Food Safety: Have you heard how many outbreaks there have been this year in produce? Romaine lettuce is at the top of this list.
4. Healthier Eating: There are actually a few reasons why growing a garden may help you to eat healthier. The first being as we mentioned above, MUCH MORE FLAVOR. When we have more flavor we can cut out the extra oils, salts an unnecessary additives. Secondly, we can pick our food at the peak of ripeness. Typically store-bought vegetables are picked earlier and have a bit of traveling to do before they make it to your home. The nutritional value of fruits and vegetables declines from the type it is picked to the time it ends up on your plate.
5. Outdoor Exercise: encourages you to get outside for some fresh air and sunshine. Plus, requires a bit of movement from digging to planting to weeding.
6. Save Money: You can save a lot of money by planting your own fruits and vegetables. A package of herbs alone can cost $4 whereas a package of organic seeds is MUCH less and will yield more than that package from the grocery store.
7. Connecting to Nature: When was the last time you’ve physically connected with the Earth? We Deepen your spiritual relationship with nature by . This can impact your state of well-being in a positive way.
I’m always looking for gardening tips so you if you have any advice, post below!
What if I told you DARK CHOCOLATE can reduce stress and boost the power of your mind?
And let me tell you, it’s not the sugar contributing to stress reduction, it’s actually the CACAO. Certain types of dark chocolate have high concentrations of cacao and studies show us that the higher concentration of cacao, the greater the impact on memory, mood, cognition and even immunity.
Research has shown that chocolate with a percentage of AT LEAST 70% hold these benefits.
Cacao is rich in a tryptophan which triggers our feel good hormone, seratonin. An imbalance of serotonin can influence our mood in ways that lead to anxiety and depression. So, we can help our bodies produce more serotonin with certain foods, such as chocolate.
Flavonols, a type of plant-nutrient found are also found in high concentrations in cacao. This promotes antioxidant activity throughout the body, keeping our cells healthy. They are also responsible for increasing blood flow flow from your head to your toes.
Does this mean you should run to the grocery store and load up your cart with Mars Bars and Kit Kat Bars? Definitely not.
But you can include dark chocolate regularly by:
I shared this Ultimate Anti-Aging Smoothie with everyone at our event this past Thursday at Margot's European Day Spa in Birmingham, Michigan. At this event, Dr. March and I spoke about the importance of health and nutrition in reversing the signs of aging.
I wanted to share this recipe with everyone, as it is packed with POWERFUL foods that help reverse the signs of aging. I'm obsessed. I recommend replacing one of your meals or snacks with this smoothie daily so you can benefit from all its anti-aging properties :)