Busy mornings call for a quick breakfast you can grab and go! I love making these Turkey Bacon Egg Cups ahead of time so I can quickly warm them up in the morning and be on my way. I've also incorporated zucchini, red peppers, spinach and onions so I can get a serving of vegetables nice and early! You can get creative and add in your favorite vegetables too!! For this recipe, I've sautéed the vegetables before adding them into the egg mixture. This makes a huge difference in taste. I've made a few healthy adjustments such as using turkey bacon, using nutritional yeast instead of cheese and creating an egg mixture with half egg whites.
Nothing beats healthy, delicious and easy!!
Yields 18 cups
18 strips turkey bacon (uncured/nitrate free)
9 whole eggs
9 egg whites
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp dried chives
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
For the vegetable sauté
2 cups chopped spinach
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup chopped zucchini, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
For the Vegetables:
1. Add olive oil to a hot skillet. Add onion for 2 minutes.
2. Add red pepper and zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add in chopped spinach for 1 minute.
4. Turn off heat and set aside
For the Egg Cups:
1. Spray a muffin tin with pam
2. Line each cup with 1 strip of turkey bacon
3. In a large bowl combine 9 eggs and 9 egg whites. Whisk until combined.
4. Add almond milk, nutritional yeast, chives, salt and pepper
*If you plan to freeze them, allow them to cool completely. Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and then place in a large freezer bag. Take them out as you need them!