I have re-created a childhood favorite dish to become healthy meal that can be enjoyed by the whole family! I have used Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Elbows, which are my favorite gluten-free noodles. They have an amazing taste and texture and don’t end up mushy! If you are looking for a healthier alternative for pasta noodles, you must try these!! In addition to the fiber packed Brown Rice Pasta Elbows, I have added in a bunch of different vegetables which contribute to the nutritional content of this meal.
There is no need for those pre-made Sloppy Joe packages that are filled with unnecessary additives, preservatives and fillers. You can quickly whip up this recipe and enjoy the traditional Sloppy Joe taste and still meet your nutritional goals!
Yields 8 Servings:
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
2 cups Gluten-Free Brown Rice Pasta Elbows
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
4 oz mushrooms, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1) In a large pot, cook 2 cups Gluten-Free Brown Rice Pasta Elbows according to package. Set aside.
2) In a large skillet, brown the meat and onion for 5 minutes.
3) Add the carrot, mushrooms, garlic and bell pepper and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. Stir often.
4) Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low-heat. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
5) Combine the Pasta Elbows in with the Sloppy Joe mixture.