Roasted Beet Hummus
If you’re a fan of hummus, you will enjoy this recipe! I love the vibrant color of this Roasted Beet Hummus with its gorgeous pink hue! It’s amazing how beautiful real food can be.
On that note, beets can get a little messy. After handling them, my kitchen often looks like a murder scene. I've learned this after attempting to roast my first batch of beets. I warn you to proceed with caution… and paper towels!
Side Note: Don’t throw out the green leaves from your beetroot! You can save the leaves and cook them as you would spinach! They are an excellent source of folate, calcium, iron and vitamin A and vitamin C!
2 medium sized beetroots
1 3/4 cup chickpeas
2 1/2 tbsp. tahini
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees °F
2. Wash each beetroot but keep skin on
3. Wrap each beetroot in aluminum foil and roast for 1 to 2 hours (until soft and tender)
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling
5. Peel the skin and chop into chunks.
6. Place the beetroots, chickpeas and garlic into a blender and pulse
7. Add tahini, lemon juice, cumin and salt and blend until smooth and creamy (If it's too thick, add a little water until desired consistency is reached)
8. Refrigerate and pair with your favorite vegetables or crackers!