Eggs are a great source of a complete protein but there has been a continued debate about the cholesterol found in egg yolks. It’s time to rethink tossing out those egg yolks. Recent research including a recent report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown that cholesterol in foods has minimal effects on our blood cholesterol. In fact, you can actually purchase eggs fortified with Omega-3’s which have been shown to lower our LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), raise our HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), reduce inflammation and possibly help lower blood pressure.
What exactly are Omega-3 Eggs?
Well, hens are fed a special diet including Omega-3 sources such as flaxseed. Hens digest the flaxseed (or other Omega-3 source) which is converted into an optimal form of Omega-3 known as DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)!!
So, not only are eggs not the contributing factor to clogged arteries but they are actually quite healthy for us.
Let's get cracking!!
**Like everything we eat, moderation is key.**
I used fresh baked whole grain bread from my Nonna. Nothing compares to fresh, homemade bread!!
Yields 2 servings:
1/2 cup pasta sauce
A few leaves of basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices of your favorite bread
1 garlic clove
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Bring pasta sauce to a simmer in an 8-inch pan
2. Break each egg into a ramekin and gently tip them into the tomato sauce
3. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes (the tops should be white but the yolk should still peak through)
4. Turn off the heat and top with basil, salt and pepper
5. Toast your bread
6. Rub with your (peeled) garlic clove and smear on your coconut oil