There's nothing I love more than a nice crispy taco shell but with this comes extra calories and saturated fat. No thank you. A healthier alternative is making them yourself! This can be done with any whole grain tortilla wrap, I chose Sprouted Grain Tortillas. All you need to do is microwave them for about 30 seconds, brush with water, spray both sides with coconut oil and drape it over two bars on your oven rack. Bake them for 7-10 minutes at 375 and voila, a healthier taco shell! Honestly, these were the most delicious taco shells I have ever eaten. Why did I ever eat those packaged shells??
Now onto the recipe. To add more crunch, I cooked the chicken in a skillet which gave it a nice brown coating. I coated the chicken strips with some barbeque sauce and put them in the oven at 475 for 8 minutes. This allowed the barbeque sauce to caramelize onto the crispy coating.... I'm drooling just writing this.
The blue cheese paired with the barbeque sauce perfectly. Now for the toppings. This is your opportunity to get creative. Use some fresh vegetables from your fridge. I topped mine tacos with broccoli slaw, avocado and green onions.
Yields 4 tacos
4 whole grain tortillas
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Arrow Root Flour
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Coconut oil cooking spray
1 large avocado, sliced
4oz blue cheese
1 cup broccoli slaw
4 scallions, sliced
For the taco shells:
1) Set oven to 375 degrees
2) Microwave tortillas for 30 seconds each
3) Brush with water
4) Spray both sides with coconut oil cooking spray
5) Place each tortilla over 2 bars in your oven rack. Cook for 7-10 minutes. (Until crispy). Set aside.
For the Filling:
1) Set oven to 475 degrees
2) Heat a large skillet over medium-heat
3) You will need 3 bowls. In the first bowl, combine Arrow Starch Flour, garlic powder and chili powder. In the second bowl, whisk together 3 eggs. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. In the third bowl, add the whole grain bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
4) Create an assembly line and dip each piece of chicken in the first bowl. Dip each piece of chicken into the second bowl. Then dip each piece of chicken into the third bowl. (You will want to do this with tongs, they will be your best friend)
5) Add 4 tbsp of coconut oil into your skillet. Add the coated chicken and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
5) Set the chicken aside. Once all pieces of chicken are cooked, dredge them in the barbeque sauce and place them onto a baking sheet.
6) Bake for 8 minutes.
7) Assemble tacos with toppings, dividing the toppings evenly.