Baking with coconut flour is a great option for grain-free treat! If you've tried baking with this flour before, you know very well it is not like other flours. It is very absorbent so a little goes a long way! After a little experimentation, you will become comfortable substituting coconut flour in your favorite recipes.
After a little trial and error, I have a deliciously fluffy, moist, vanilla cake!
My Easter treat :)
For the cake:
5 whole eggs, two separated from yolk
½ cup plus 2 tbsp coconut flour – sifted
½ cup coconut oil (melted)
½ cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup palm shortening
½ cup raw honey
4 tbsp arrowroot powder
4 tbsp coconut flour
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sliced strawberries
2 kiwis sliced
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup honey
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup toasted large unsweetened coconut flakes
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch baking pan.
2) Add all of the dry ingredients for the cake together and sift. Set aside.
3) Separate 2 of the eggs, setting aside the egg whites while putting the 2 yolks into a medium bowl.
4) Add the remaining 3 eggs into the medium size bowl and whisk. Add in coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract and honey. Mix thoroughly.
5) Using a hand whisk on low(or blender), slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (3-4 phases)
6) In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until thick soft peaks form. Add this to the batter. Mix thoroughly.
7) Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool before you add the icing.
For the icing:
1) In a mixing bowl, combine everything except the coconut oil
2) Blend with a hand mixer until well combined
3) Add in the coconut oil slowly while still mixing.
4) Mix until whipped together
5) Frost cake immediately or store in the fridge
For the fruit:
1) In a small sauce pan, add honey and simmer on low.
2) Once the honey becomes liquid form, remove from heat and add lemon juice.
3) Drizzle on fruit.
You can now assemble your cake! Frost the whole cake with the icing, use the coconut flakes for the sides and fruit on top!