Standing in line impatiently at the grocery store, my attention couldn't help but wander towards the tempting chocolate bars - Reese's pieces, Snickers, Kit-Kats, Twix bars - my mouth is watering just thinking about them. Naturally, my sweet tooth craving kicked in and the hamster wheel started rolling. What to do, what to do, what to do?
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TURTLES! These treats satisfied my chocolate bar craving and are made with simple, wholesome ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen. The process is extremely easy, the hardest part is waiting!!
Yields about 18 turtles
1 cup of pecans (I used about 7 per cluster)
For the caramel:
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp raw honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp maple extract
For the chocolate:
1 1/2 chocolate chips
A pinch of salt
1) Spread parchment paper across 2 baking trays
2) Portion about 7 pecans for each turtle
3) In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the caramel
4) Scoop about 2 tsp of the caramel over each cluster of nuts
5) Refrigerate for 30 minutes (Until the caramel has set)
6) In a microwavable bowl, melt chocolate in 30 second intervals for about 2 minutes (stirring after each one)
7) Once the chocolate is smooth without any clumps, add the pinch of salt and mix
8) Scoop about 2 tsp of the chocolate onto each cluster
9) Refrigerate for another 45 minutes and enjoy!
You can either store them in a air-tight container in the refrigerator or in the