I was very excited about a recent class assignment where we were to create a nutrition related product or service. My first thought, of course, a PROTEIN BAR! With the large number of protein bars on the market, I had to think of a way for mine to stand out from the rest. This is why my partner and I came up with the idea of making a pre- and post- workout bar package. This would contain a pre-workout bar with chia seeds for sustained energy, hydration, and protein whereas the oatmeal and brown rice flakes provide complex carbohydrates to fuel energy needs. I will be posting the post-workout bar for you as well!
1 1/3 cup quick oats
1 cup puffed brown rice
1/2 cup Vega One French Vanilla Nutritional Shake Powder
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips + 1/3 to drizzle on top
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1) Heat oven to 325 degrees
2) Line a baking dish with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray
3) In a large bowl, mix together quick oats, puffed brown rice, protein powder, chia seeds and salt.
4) Add peanut butter, dried cherries, raw honey, almond milk, 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
5) Pour mixture into baking dish and firmly press down
6) Bake in oven for 12 minutes
7) Remove from the oven and place to aside
8) In a small microwavable bowl, pour 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
9) Microwave the chocolate on medium heat at 30 second intervals for 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring in between
10) Stir coconut oil into melted chocolate and drizzle on top
11) Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Cut and serve!