Try this healthier twist on a quiche by using spaghetti squash for your crust! It's lower in carbs and much higher in nutrients!!
Yields 6 servings
1 spaghetti squash
1lb of asparagus, chopped with stems removed
1 large onion, chopped
6 whole eggs,
6 egg whites
1/3 cup grated swiss cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
2 TBSP + 1 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Slice spaghetti squash lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and stringy flesh.
3) Drizzle each side with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
4) Bake flesh side down for about 40 minutes (depending on the size of your squash).
5) While the spaghetti squash is baking, pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a frying pan on medium heat.
6) Add chopped onions and allow to sweat (2-3 minutes).
7) Add asparagus to pan. Remove from heat after 4 minutes.
8) In a large bowl combine eggs, egg whites, swiss cheese, almond milk, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Scoop the asparagus and onions into the bowl and set aside.
9) Once the squash is cooked, use a fork to scrape the flesh (It should scrape out like spaghetti noodles). Set aside on a bowl.
10) Time to assemble: Scoop spaghetti squash into a baking dish. Use your hands to spread it evenly across the bottom of the dish. Add the egg mixture on top.
11) Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes.